Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Take what you can get...




This photo was a chance image that I saw while driving on US 60 toward New Mexico. The Very Large Array consists of 27 radio antennas in a Y-shaped configuration on the Plains of San Agustin fifty miles west of Socorro, New Mexico. These antennas were featured in Carl Sagan's movie Contact with Jodie Foster. I was headed toward Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge. Of course, I was aware that the Moon would be full. I was timing the full Moon in conjunction with the wildlife at the refuge. However, I had no idea that the Moon would be positioned over the VLA like this. The exposure was very tricky as I needed to ensure the foreground was visible. Because I had very little time when I pulled over on the highway, I ended up blowing out the Moon in order to expose the rest of the image properly. Had I been better prepared the image would be even stronger, but I'll take what I can get.